Saturday, May 4, 2013

You bring the box back to the bear

You put the box, Wizard included, into your pack and look about the dock. There is a boat tied up waiting for you, so you get in and row yourself back towards the fishing village on the opposite shore.

The trip back is uneventful but takes most of the day and you only reach the bear's cave at nightfall. He has lit a bonfire in the entrance to his domicile and seems to be waiting for you.

"Ah, back so soon," he yawns. "Tell me all about your trip!"

You expound on the journey and he laughs when you tell him how the Wizard ended up in the box.

"Serves him right," he chuckles. "Everyone knows the old reprobate refuses to help anyone, but I thought the box might 'convince' him. Sorry to keep you in the dark, but I felt you would be more convincing if you really believed it was a gift rather than a trap. Let's see how he is doing."

The bear removes the lid from the box with his teeth and gazes inside.

"How are you doing down there?" he asks.

"Get me out of here!" the Wizard shrieks, his voice echoing up out of the depths.

"How do I know you won't turn us into a frogs if we let you out?" you inquire.

"I swear! Let me out and I will help your bear friend! Let me out and I will offer you a share in the treasure of a lifetime!"

Intrigued you consult with the bear and the two of you decide to offer the Wizard a second chance. You turn the box upside down and shake it a few times. Out tumbles the Wizard, an angry badger, and several loaves of what appears to be fruit cake. The badger scurries off into the bushes but the Wizard and the fruit cakes stay where they fell.

"Now, about this treasure?" you prod. The Wizard clears his throat.

"I have heard stories of a valuable treasure on the bottom of the lake where my island lies, but I had a run in with the merfolk of the lake several years ago and they made it clear I was no longer welcome in their realm. Some people can't take a joke, that is all I have to say on the matter. .  . if I were to turn you, temporarily of course, into some sort of water breathing creature, would you be willing to seek out this treasure for me?"

No, you don't have time for this. Just help the bear and be on your way.

or

Certainly, sounds like a lark! Let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment